Wednesday 12 February 2014

Busyness

Busyness is a funny thing.

I’ve used it as a form of comfort. While waiting during my adoption process close to the end I couldn’t just sit and wait anymore. Waiting made me think and thinking, well it just stirred up emotions. So I would keep busy doing things for the process or doing other things just to feel like I was accomplishing something (even if I wasn’t exactly) or to keep my mind off of things.

It has been used as an excuse. Whenever we do not really want to meet up with someone or it is just simply not a priority, we attribute it to being busy. I suppose that is an easier reason to swallow than to hear, “I don’t want to spend the time with you because I have other more important priorities.” Whether we are busy or not, we all know deep down that if the person was a priority we would make the time for them.

We sometimes feel important, successful or accomplished with it. If we are busy we think we are important with all the things we are doing. Of course we do not usually just leave it at that; we like to brag to others what we are doing and how important we really are.

Perhaps we equate being busy means we are not lazy. However there are many folks out there who are not busy but they are not lazy as well. Balance is always key.

And sometimes it is simply because we have committed to too much. Many a times I thought I could handle one more thing, and when I let something go I noticed how much more time I had afterwards. Overcommitting is a huge problem as well.

I’ve also realized I have heard others say how busy they are and then I hear their schedules and I think to myself, “Really? That’s not busy.” I suppose it has to do with that some can handle more things going on in their lives than others. Others I have heard their schedules and I think, “Wow, how in the world do you fit all that in?” So there are obviously the extremes with it.

Over time I have realized that I need to make sure there is adequate time for things that are important. I need to spend the proper amount of time with my Lord, spend the right amount of time with my daughter, I need to try to get the right amount of sleep – well some sleep anyways, spend time with my family and later fit in enough time for my job. If I do overdo things, those are usually the areas that suffer as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment